Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi has been ordered to prune his squad for next month’s Fifa World Cup qualifier down to a more manageable 23 players.Want to try something different? Why not Join us on Facebook and Twitter and discuss Super Eagles issues with Nigeria fans from around the world.On Tuesday, Keshi announced a 42-player squad, consisting of 18 Europe-based players and 24 from the domestic league.According to the coach, the large number of domestic league players was with a view to identifying fresh players ahead of next year’s African Nations Championship, with just five of that number to be involved against Malawi.But the NFF say that is unnecessary and directed Keshi to focus on the task at hand which is earning Nigeria a 2014 Fifa World Cup finals ticket, before the business of full preparation for the 2014 African Nations Championship can start in earnest.“We must be very pragmatic and take it one step at a time,” NFF Executive Committee member Chris Green said. “The 2014 Fifa World Cup ticket is very, very important to Nigeria and Nigerians. Yes, we have qualified for the African Nations Championship, for the first time ever, and we very much appreciate it.“But there are three very crucial 2014 Fifa World Cup qualifying matches that we must prosecute successfully to qualify for Brazil before we can start the build-up to the African Nations Championship.“Our smart money must be on focusing hard, and without any distraction, at the World Cup ticket,” he added.Keshi is expected to harmonise his list and submit a reviewed document to the NFF before the end of the week.
Can this season get any better for Granite Pointe golfer Lauren Taylor?Already on top of the Big Sky Conference Women’s Golf world the L.V. Rogers Bomber grad continues to turn heads.Taylor currently tops the leader board after two rounds of the Anteater Invitational Big Sky Conference Women’s Golf Tournament at the Dove Canyon Country Club in Dove Canyon, CA.Taylor put together two solid rounds Monday of even par 71 and 1-over-par 72 to lead the field by two shots.Taylor’s 143, 36-hole total, is two shots ahead of Reina Rogers of Long Beach State. Portland State Viks teammate Britney Yada is third at 146.During the two rounds Taylor recorded five birdies, including three during round two, on the par 71, 5890-yard Dove Canyon course.Portland State trails Long Beach State in the team standings by two strokes. U.C. Irvine is third in the 12-team field, 12 shots behind Long Beach State.The final round of the 54-hole tournament goes Tuesday.Taylor made headlines last week becoming the first freshman in Portland State University history to win a tournament — the Folino Invitational Women’s Golf Tourney hosted by Cal State Fullerton at Oak Creek Golf Club in Irving, California.The victory earned Taylor conference player of the week honours.Taylor, 19, attends Portland State on a golf scholarship. The Nelson native is enrolled in first year studies. [email protected]
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments MOST READ Organizer Destine Javelona said the league resumes on Oct. 14. —CEDELF P. TUPAS Makati-based teams Wednesday Group and Dreamchaser Basketball hacked out thrilling victories on Saturday to rule their respective divisions in the inaugural Premium Basketball Showcase held at Kerry Sports at Shangri-La at the Fort.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Kanter believes Westbrook will stay in OKC Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Read Next E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:16CJ Peralta says QC judge followed rules in giving nod to raids on militant offices02:14Galvez OK with ‘selective’ martial law in Mindanao01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Shooting guard Roy Cayanan scattered 19 points and grabbed seven rebounds as Wednesday overcame Goto Pilipinas, 79-77, to claim the Spartan division crown.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutForward Jake Diwa and burly center JR Casulla also shone for Wednesday, which stunned R. Lapids, 74-73, in the semifinals of the division limited to recreational players.Earlier, center JM Agustin took charge with 19 points and 13 rebounds to lift Dreamchaser to a 66-62 triumph over erstwhile unbeaten Compadres-Wilmer in the 18-Under finals of the tournament backed by PMT Clothing, Basketball TV and Nike Park.
Both parties still held opposing views over the recommendations of the NEC produced in 2008, that the State of Origin is best served biannually in March in line with the NTL, with NSWTA in favour and the QTA against. After discussion, negotiation and review of a reinvigorated proposal put to both parties by Touch Football Australia of a 2004 NSWTA suggestion, an acceptable common ground result has been achieved. Both bodies have agreed to invite Touch Football Australia to once again be a part of the State of Origin and accept their invitation to hold the event in line with the National Youth Championships biannually. It was also agreed that while both NSWTA and QTA will remain primarily in charge of the direction of the SOO, TFA will play an integral part of the delivery of this high end market product. Meetings will now be scheduled with all three parties to map out the plans for the 2012 event. Both bodies, while feeling that the position of the event is not optimal are extremely pleased that a solution to allow SOO to resume from 2012 has been found.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say REVEALED: Cesc doesn’t want to leave Chelsea until he reaches landmarkby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCesc Fabregas doesn’t want to leave Chelsea until he plays his 500th English game.The Irish Independent says the Spanish midfielder missed the victory over Crystal Palace with a neck injury, but could return to the squad for tomorrow night’s game against Southampton.He has made a combined 499 appearances for Chelsea and Arsenal, and one more would see him reach his target ahead of his expected departure.Having moved to Arsenal as a 16-year-old, Fabregas has spent over 12 years in English football and has been one of the best ever Premier League players.He is second only to Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs in the all-time assists chart, despite having spent three years in Spain at Barcelona, and has won every English domestic trophy including two league titles with Chelsea.
TagsEnglish ChampionshipPremiership NewsAbout the authorIan FerrisShare the loveHave your say FA hit Birmingham with fine after Aston Villa skipper Grealish attackedby Ian Ferrisa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBirmingham City have been fined £42,500 after a Blues fan attacked Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish last season, reports BBC Sport,Paul Mitchell ran onto the pitch and hit Grealish from behind during March’s Championship derby between the sides.Mitchell was jailed for 14 weeks on 11 March.An independent regulatory commission has also warned Blues about its future conduct, having been found to fail to ensure the supporter conducted himself in an orderly fashion.
NEW YORK, N.Y. – NBC News defended itself Wednesday after questions were raised about whether it had fumbled an explosive story about Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein’s alleged sexual assaults that network contributor Ronan Farrow broke instead in The New Yorker magazine.It was the same day NBC came under withering attack from President Donald Trump for a story the network DID report, about whether the president sought in a summer meeting to greatly increase the nation’s nuclear stockpile.Farrow’s story, released by the magazine Tuesday, offered new details about Weinstein’s alleged behaviour with women that followed an investigation published last week in The New York Times. The Times’ story led to Weinstein’s firing from the film company that bears his name.Farrow, who had a short-lived daytime show on MSNBC, had been working on the Weinstein story for NBC News. He told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow that earlier this year, he had a woman who granted an on-camera interview about Weinstein’s behaviour. NBC News President Noah Oppenheim said Wednesday that the network reached a point this summer where it didn’t feel all the elements were in place to air a story and didn’t stand in Farrow’s way when he wanted to take his reporting elsewhere.Farrow said on MSNBC that he “walked into The New Yorker with an explosively publishable piece that should have been reported earlier and immediately The New Yorker recognized that.” He said there were “multiple determinations” at NBC News that he had a story ready to report.Oppenheim, in remarks he made at a town hall meeting Wednesday that the network released publicly, said that Farrow had greatly expanded the scope of his reporting after taking it to The New Yorker.“The stunning story, the incredible story that we all read yesterday, was not the story that we were looking at when we made our judgment several months ago,” he said.Farrow said that he had personally been threatened with a lawsuit by Weinstein. Many news organizations that cover Hollywood have faced questions about why it took so long to report on conduct that had allegedly been occurring over many years. Yet it was a difficult story that took bravery for women to come forward with details against one of the most powerful men in their industry.Oppenheim said “the notion that we would try to cover for a powerful person is deeply offensive to all of us,” noting other news organizations that had tried but failed to get the story.The NBC News leader said NBC had nothing to be ashamed of its decision. Still, questions will remain about why it essentially gave up on the story at that point instead of urging Farrow forward.“We are going to keep digging,” Oppenheim said. “We are going to keep pursuing these stories. We are not always going to be the ones that get it to the finish line, but I think more often than not, we will be.”For NBC News, the questions came a year after another news organization broke the story of then-candidate Trump making lewd comments during a taping of “Access Hollywood,” remarks that had been in the archives of the NBC-owned entertainment show for years.Trump, meanwhile, was furious with NBC on Wednesday for its story about the president’s nuclear ambitions as reportedly stated in a national security meeting this summer. NBC last week broke the story about Secretary of State reportedly calling Trump a “moron” this summer.Trump disputed the truth of Wednesday’s story in a tweet, wondering, “at what point is it appropriate to challenge their license?” The Federal Communications Commission regulates what television stations have access to the nation’s airwaves.
HALIFAX – Olympic gymnast Ellie Black has been named to the Order of Nova Scotia — becoming only the second person under 25 to ever receive the honour.The other young Nova Scotian named to the Order: NHL star Sidney Crosby, who was inducted in 2009.Lt.-Gov. Arthur J. LeBlanc announced Black and five other recipients on Friday, revealing a list that includes an expert on the Halifax Explosion, a frozen blueberry mogul and a Cape Breton nurse who overcame racial discrimination.The 23-year-old Black represented Canada twice at the Summer Olympic Games, placing fifth in the women’s individual all-around for the country’s best Olympic result in the event.The Halifax native has also won medals at the Pan-American Games and led her team to gold at this year’s Commonwealth Games.Other 2018 inductees include John Bragg of Oxford Frozen Foods and Eastlink; Clotilda Douglas-Yakimchuk who became the first, and only, black president of the Registered Nurses’ Association of Nova Scotia; and author and scholar Janet Kitz, who has spent years educating people about the Halifax Explosion.Patti Melanson of Halifax is also being invested for her work providing health care to vulnerable people, while Halifax high school principal Wade Smith will receive the honour posthumously for his advocacy work on education and the preservation of African Nova Scotian culture.“Beyond honoured to be named a recipient to the Order of Nova Scotia alongside these incredible Nova Scotians!” Black tweeted Friday. “Congratulations to you all.”A news release from the lieutenant-governor’s office Friday said Black is an ambassador for both gymnastics and the province.“Ellie is an outstanding role model for her peers and young gymnasts, demonstrating a great work ethic and a graciousness in both victory and loss. Ms. Black takes time with her young fans, acknowledging their support and sharing her experiences,” the release said.The recipients will be recognized at a ceremony on Nov. 6.The order was established in 2001. Recipients gain the right to use the initials O.N.S. after their names.
DENVER — Attorneys for a Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on religious grounds say the state is punishing him again for not baking a cake celebrating a gender transition.Lawyers for Jack Phillips argued Tuesday in U.S. court in Denver to try to stop the state from taking action against him over the new discrimination allegation.The U.S. Supreme Court issued a limited ruling for the baker in the gay couple’s 2012 case.Phillips is suing to overturn the Colorado Civil Rights Commission’s June finding that he discriminated against Denver attorney Autumn Scardina because she’s transgender.The state has asked the lawsuit to be dismissed, but Senior Judge Wiley Y. Daniel said he was inclined to let it go forward. He said he’d issue a ruling later.Colleen Slevin, The Associated Press