The men team was led by 50m backstroke gold medalist Ryan Pini clocking a finish time of 3:28:02 sec. Tahiti won gold after clocking in at 3:25:02 sec and silver went to New Caledonia clocking in at 3:27:66 sec.The PNG women team was led by Savannah Tkatchenko clocking in at 4:11:52 sec. New Caledonia took out gold with a time of 3:57:23 sec and Fiji won silver clocking in at 3:57:92 sec.
…prisoner was part of re-integration training projectActing Director of Prisons, Kevin PilgrimThe Guyana Police Force (GPF) is now spearheading investigations into the death of Mazaruni Prison inmate Gary Stuart, who died after allegedly consuming a poisonous substance which he had believed to be alcohol.This is according to acting Guyana Prison Service (GPS) Director Kevin Pilgrim, who, during an interview with Guyana Times on Monday, said the other inmates who consumed the same substance were also taken to the Bartica Regional Hospital for medical attention.He said that, upon discovering the condition of Stuart before he succumbed, GPS ranks rushed the other prisoners to that hospital as a pro-active measure.“We did not wait for them to complain. We took the entire team; we made the necessary arrangements to take them over to see the doctor at Bartica Public Hospital. What we would have done initially is send everybody to the hospital, because the fact that they did not even know what they would have consumed is worrying,” Pilgrim said.Asked what the prisoners were doing working at the nearby quarry, Pilgrim explained that an agreement was in place for those prisoners to be so engaged as part of the process of their re-integration into society.“They were there to not just work, but to be trained; so, ideally, they would do whatever the task for the day. Now, from the initial investigation, those men would have found this bottle containing the substance while cleaning up; concealed it, and obviously they would have consumed a portion of the contents of the bottle. Now, we only learnt of the same after it was observed in the morning hours (that) this individual was vomiting continuously, which would have resulted in him being escorted to the hospital. And in that regard, protocols would have kicked in with regard to (dealing) with that issue,” the acting prison director noted.He added that permission had been granted for those prisoners to be working there, since they were all identified to benefit from the skills training as they are/were expected to be released back into communities before others.“Once the prisoner leaves the confines to provide or perform work, or to be trained, it is actually captured under prisoners’ reintegration-type training. So a prisoner cannot leave to go and work anywhere, unless there is an agreement where somebody has to request, stating the nature of whatever is the work, and approval is there. With regards to the deceased prisoner, a post-mortem examination (PME) has been scheduled by the Police, and will be determined by the availability of the doctor,” Pilgrim explained.He said the dead inmate’s relatives were notified of his demise, and they visited the Prison Service Headquarters, where arrangements are being put in place for the man’s funeral after the PME has been conducted.Stuart died at about 05:45h on Saturday last, less than 24 hours after working at a nearby quarry. He was said to be washing and painting boats when he, along with other inmates, found the bottle of what they believed was alcohol.The inmates hid the bottle from the prison officer on duty, and Stuart is said to have drunk the substance. However, it was not until 05:15h on Saturday that Stuart cried out for pains in his stomach and, as a result, was escorted to the Bartica Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. (Kristen Macklingam)
Sexual misconduct allegations…complainant also removed from postThe senior official attached to the Cheddi Jagan International Airport (CJIA) being investigated for sexual misconduct, an allegation made against him by another employee of the airport, was on Tuesday sent on administrative leave pending the outcome of a new investigation into the complaint.In a statement, the airport also revealed that the victim has also been removed from her post.The investigation into the alleged sexual misconduct was launched following a report made by the victim to the Timehri Police Station. The incident occurred about a year ago.In a detailed report given to the police, the woman alleged that in July of last year, the senior official held and kissed her without her permission during a visit to his office for a work-related matter.She told Police that while in the office, the man first invited her out, claiming that it was his birthday. While doing so, the official reportedly left his desk, came over to the victim, grabbed and kissed her.Shocked at this action, the woman revealed that she attempted to leave the office but was held and kissed a second time. The woman explained that she ran out of the office and threw up.The following day, the matter was reported to a senior official at the airport and a representative of the Human Resources Department.After being assured by the official that the matter would be investigated, the victim left. However, it was only last week that the woman received word via WhatsApp regarding the investigation, telling her that the matter had been dealt with but noted that no evidence was offered for further action.When further questions posed to the airport heads went unanswered, the woman visited the police station where she reported the matter.The police are presently investigating and are said to be preparing a case file to be sent for legal advice.However, CJIA is now assuring employees that steps are being taken to strengthen the existing protocols.
The Alaska Highway remains closed 3km south of Prophet River following a Greyhound bus accident.The Greyhound bus was traveling from Fort Nelson to Fort St. John at about 5:25am Saturday morning when it rolled over near Prophet River, BC. Cst. Craig Douglass says the accident was most likely caused by the dangerous road conditions.[asset|aid=544|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=issues_and_answers-20081101T0957.mp3] – Advertisement -The RCMP do not have any new information, but at least 22 people were on board including 2 that have been critically injured and one person that was trapped. Cst. Craig Douglass says the trapped person has been freed and along with the other 2 critically injured passengers were transported by helicopter to the Fort Nelson Hospital.Greyhound has booked rooms at the Lakeview Inn and Suites in Fort Nelson for the remaining passengers while they await another bus.Highway 97 will remain closed until road conditions improve and the accident scene has been cleared.Advertisement We will have more information as it becomes available.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Independent Investigations Office of B.C. is investigating after a man suffered injuries while being arrested by Fort St. John RCMP.The RCMP notified IIOBC of the incident that happened at around 3 a.m. on April 22, 2019. According to the RCMP, a Fort St. John RCMP officer was conducting patrols in an area of the city where theft from vehicles had occurred earlier in the evening.The officer attempted to speak to a man he encountered. The man fled on foot and was arrested following a brief foot pursuit, with assistance from back-up officers. Following the man’s arrest, injuries were observed.- Advertisement -B.C. Ambulance staff assessed the man at the RCMP detachment and determined the injuries were non-life threatening but transported him to the local hospitalThe officers were not injured.The IIOBC is now investigating to determine whether police actions or inactions are linked to the man’s injuries. As the matter is now under investigation by the IIOBC, no further information will be released by police.Advertisement Please note that all aspects and circumstances of this incident will be the subject of independent investigation and verification by the IIOBC. For more information about the IIOBC and media updates, you can visit their website at www.iiobc.ca
0Shares0000Nakumatt FC striker Joe Waithira celebrates one of his two goals against Ushuru FC during the KPL relegation and promotion plau-off at Kasarani Stadium on October 28, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaNAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 28 – Despite scoring twice on Sunday evening to help Nakumatt FC survive relegation in a 2-0 win over Ushuru in the Kenyan Premier League relegation and promotion play-off, striker Joe Waithira says he has played his last match for the side and is strongly linked with a return to relegated Wazito FC.Waithira joined Nakumatt from Wazito in mid-season and has flourished under head coach Melis Medo playing a crucial role in the side’s survival from the chop, his two goals in the play-off notwithstanding. “There have been very many offers coming in, so many coaches are calling but I have already made up my mind. I will not be playing for Nakumatt next season. This was my last match,” Waithira told Capital Sport shortly after Nakumatt confirmed their place in the top tier.The forward added; “I feel I have given my best for the club and I had to push myself today because I didn’t want to leave Nakumatt in the NSL. I had to see my best to ensure I leave them where I found them. It was great to say goodbye with two goals.”His destination is said to be Wazito, the very club he left in mid-season and he was only short of confirming the same as he is set to sign a contract Monday.Nakumatt FC striker Joe Waithira passes the ball under pressure from Ushuru FC’s Baron Oketch during the KPL relegation and promotion plau-off at Kasarani Stadium on October 28, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaOn his decision to go back to the NSL other than playing in the top tier, Waithira says he is sure of making a good decision.“So many people who have also heard I am going back to Wazito are telling me not to do so because I should be playing in the Premier League. But it is a decision that I have considered with my family as well and whatever I decide is from my heart,” the striker further stated.Wazito were relegated from the top tier at the close of the season after finishing second from bottom in the KPL. Word on the street is that the club has a new owner, but efforts to get an official confirmation from the officials bore no fruit.Looking back at the game against Ushuru, Waithira was more than pleased with the performance of his teammates saying they had to dig deep to get a result.“We had to push ourselves and ensure we score early because we were only leading 1-0 from the first leg. If we allowed them to score first, it would have been difficult. I am happy with how the team shaped up today,” he noted.Waithira scored both goals in the 2-0 win, both sublime finishes.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Gay Byrne says he is never made feel like an outsider at his Co Donegal retreat – despite being from Dublin.The former Late Late Show presenter has been a visitor to the town of Dungloe having bought a house there with wife Kathleen Watkins four decades ago.“We bought a little house in Donegal more than 40 years ago, and it has been a haven of rest and tranquility from a busy life ever since. “Our family will always be run-ins, even after all that time, but we’re never made to feel that we are, and it has been always the warm welcome and kind generosity of the Donegal people that has made every visit a joy for us, just as if we were of their stock.“And it is the kind and welcoming friends in Donegal who have made us feel at home through the years,” he said.Byrne has been made an ambassador for Donegal during the year of The Gathering.He says he will try his hardest to tell people why they should come home to Donegal or visit there this year. “You’ve heard all about the beauty of the county, so I don’t need to repeat that, but you’d be doing yourself a kindness to make The Year of the Gathering the year that you come and sample the joys of Donegal. I doubt that you’ll ever regret it,” he said.I’M NEVER AN OUTSIDER IN DONEGAL – GAY BYRNE was last modified: February 26th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:dungloeGay ByrneThe Gathering
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinals160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! IT’S bingo night at my son Jonathan’s elementary school. He’s never played serious bingo before, the kind where adults and children alike hunker down, armed with stacks of bingo cards, markers and steely expressions. At 7, Jonathan doesn’t yet understand the ways of the world that you can play multiple games all night long and still never win. My son, I sense, is about to learn a life lesson. Therefore, so am I. “Bingo!” I hear him shout out 15 minutes into the games as I’m selling cards to late-comers. A buzz of speculation fills the crowded cafeteria. I’m thrilled. I’m also scared. Does he really have bingo? I wasn’t paying attention to his card. He scrambles up to the judges’ station and my stomach twists. And for a good reason. The judges point at a spot on his card, then shake their heads. He hasn’t won. The stomach twists become knots as I watch him return to our table, face stoic, chin jutted out. “They made a mistake,” he says, trying to control his trembling voice. “They were wrong.” I am the mommy here, so I hide my own pain and keep my voice breezy yet sympathetic. I compare his marked card to the numbers on the blackboard. “No, sweetie. See? You got this first number wrong.” The night, of course, is now tainted. Stress levels increase as grumbles give way to tears and accusations. “Why did you make me come to bingo night?” he cries 40 minutes later. “I knew I’d hate it. I hate this.” I feel sick. My head pounds. We finally leave early, only to have him twist around in the parking lot and shriek that he changed his mind, that he wants to go back, that he’ll do anything to go back, and please, pleeeaase, Mom? But, of course, I must hold strong. The ride home is a full-blown symphony of screams, sobs, pleas, threats, and hurled taunts that I just don’t understand; I just don’t care. Bad Mommy. You blew it yet again. I’m not cut out for this job. I can’t cope, I cry to my husband, Peter, who always manages to maintain control when battling our son’s willful nature. But, that said, how can I be expected to stay strong and resolute when my son, my baby, is sobbing out my name, now holding out his arms to me? When our eyes meet, so do our souls. This is, after all, the little creature who grew from a seed inside me, who was set on my chest seconds after being born, wet, slippery flesh against flesh. A mother and child eternally share a bond that transcends rules and reason. My emotions are intertwined with his, a point driven home a few years ago when we found a dead snake in our driveway. The snake was black and delicate, smaller than a pencil. Jonathan picked it up and we decided such a pretty creature deserved a proper burial. Peter dug a hole for it and said a few noble words before motioning for Jonathan to set the snake into the ground. I watched his little face process the implication of the scenario. Tears filled his eyes. “But I don’t want it to be this way,” he cried, clutching the dead snake. And right then, I was there inside him, experiencing the terrible, sweeping realization that this snake, once alive like us, was now dead and he was expected to drop it in the hole, dump dirt on it and bury it forever. He began to cry, heartbroken sobs against which I had no emotional defense. I crouched down, held him close and sobbed with him. A snake. A bingo game. What happens when the issues become bigger? A broken heart; the betrayal of a close friend; the dawning awareness of life’s inherent cruelty and unfairness? My presence on that journey, I realize, is what defines the role of mother. Wherever he may go, there I’ll be, swept along emotionally. I panic that the sweet years are slipping past too quickly. No more sippy cups or sweet mispronunciations of words. No more holding hands as we walk together into his classroom. Some day soon, he’ll tell me he’d rather go to his classroom alone. In another half-dozen years, he’ll be asking me to walk 100 feet ahead of him at all times and never acknowledge that we’re related. This clich? I’d laughed about with my friends now shocks me with its inexorable approach into my own life. Whether or not I’m cut out for this job, the truth is, I will rise to the challenge. I am his mother, after all. And that title encompassing guardian, disciplinarian, confidante, advocate, greatest fan says it all. Terez Rose lives in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Write to her by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Antoine Griezmann (left): The 26-year-old is close to Man United’s Paul Pogba Manchester United have been dealt a blow after top transfer target Antoine Griezmann dropped his biggest hint yet regarding his future.The Europa League winners have been widely tipped to sign the Frenchman from Atletico Madrid in the summer, but the LaLiga side’s transfer ban has been upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport and Griezmann has pledged his future to the club.The 26-year-old posted on Instagram, accompanied by an image of him celebrating a goal for Atleti, with the caption: ‘Now more than ever’That comment sent fans into meltdown, while others praised his loyalty to the club.Griezmann, who moved to the Spanish capital in 2014, scored 26 goals and assisted 12 in 53 appearances for his club last season and is widely regarded as one of Europe’s top talents.He has been heavily linked with a big-money move to Old Trafford, but with Diego Simeone’s side unable to recruit players until the new year, Griezmann would like to give something back to the club.See how United fans reacted to the news below… 1 READ MORE: Antoine Griezmann indicates he is staying at Atletico Madrid as Manchester United cool interest in striker
Romelu Lukaku in action for Everton 1 Romelu Lukaku faces court action in the US over “excessive noise” at a residence in Beverly Hills, police said.The striker, who is on the verge of a £75 million move from Everton to Manchester United, was arrested on July 2 at around 8pm after being given verbal warnings by officers.A Beverly Hills Police Department statement, naming him as Romelu Lukaku Bolingoli, said the 24-year-old must appear at a Los Angeles courthouse in October.A spokesman confirmed it was the Belgian international striker, who had posted pictures of him in LA on his Instagram and Twitter accounts.The police said: “On July 2 2017, at approximately 8pm, Beverly Hills Police Department officers arrested a 24-year-old male subject by the name of Romelu Lukaku Bolingoli.“Bolingoli received a misdemeanour citation for Beverly Hills Municipal Code Violation 5-1-104 – Excessive Noise.“The citation was issued after officers responded to five other noise complaints from the same location, which resulted in verbal warnings.“These noise violations occurred at a residence in Beverly Hills where Bolingoli was temporarily residing.“Bolingoli was released at the scene with the citation and was not physically arrested.”